Terms & Conditions
COVID-19 Update and Terms & Conditions
Please note that these are the current restrictions and the borders may open up for individual travel at any time once Covid-19 cases in Japan calm down.
At the moment Japan is only allowing international tourists who join guided trips organised by licensed travel agents. HBC is a licensed travel agent for all of Japan. You can come to Japan (from specific countries) but there are specific requirements and preparations required. If you are coming from a “blue zone” country, vaccination certificate/ quarantine is not required. You must spend 14 days prior to your arrival in Japan in a “blue zone” country though.
You will be required to book a private guide from the time of arrival to when you depart Japan (this means everyday while you are in Japan). Your itinerary MUST start/end at an international airport and be an all inclusive trip. The closest airport would be Chitose Airport (CTS), but most travellers would arrive/depart from Narita Airport in Tokyo or Osaka. HBC will send a staff to Tokyo or Osaka to greet you (additional costs will apply, see below).
Please note this is the current restrictions and may change anytime.
For guests making new reservations:
HBC is only accepting private group bookings under the new guided tour restrictions (see below) or guests that are residents of Japan. Normal terms and conditions will apply for all guests making a reservation (see below). If Japan closes its borders for all tourists/ guests under the guided tours, HBC will offer a full refund or a credit towards the 2023/24 season. If you are hoping that individual travel will open up, we can put you down on the waiting list for specific trips.
Arrival/ Departure Days
If you are landing in Tokyo/Osaka on the same day and flying to Chitose, our guide/staff can greet you in Tokyo/Osaka (vice versa for departure day). This will cost an additional 172,000yen for groups of 1-5 and will include a private staff for arrival & departure transfer days and round trip flights for the staff on the trip (for groups of 5 – 10 will cost 258,000yen). If you need or would like to spend extra night(s) in Tokyo etc due to transfer times or sightseeing, additional costs will be incurred. If individual travel fully opens, this fee will be refundable.
Daily rates start at 86,000yen for groups of 1-5, 172,00yen for groups of 6 – 10 for guided lift assisted/backcountry tours ski days (includes 10% discount, additional costs will be incurred for cat/heli).
Visa Application and Arrival Steps
- HBC will obtain the certificate for registration to ERFS (Entrants, Returnees Follow-up System) from the receiving organization in Japan which HBC will work with. HBC will require the following information from each guest:
- Name on passport
- Date of Birth
- Passport Number
- Email address
- Apply for a visa at Embassies/Consulates in your home country with the ERFS certificate received by HBC.
- A Covid-19 test must be conducted within 72 hours prior to your scheduled departure time. Note that the 72-hour window is counted from the time your sample is taken, not from the time you receive your results. You can find the format for the test certificate at the Ministry of Health, Labour and Welfare (MHLW) website.
- Install the MySOS app or visit MySOS Web , answer the questionnaire, and register the Covid-19 Negative Test Certificate for smoother quarantine procedures at major airports.
- You need to purchase private medical insurance that includes coverage for medical costs if you become infected with Covid 19. HBC highly recommends purchasing cancellation insurance as well in the case when you cannot participate/continue the tour due to testing positive for Covid-19. Cancellations for any reason made within 30 days of your arrival day will result in a 100% cancellation.
- Guests will be required to follow guide/staff instructions at all times during the tour. You will be required to wear a mask when social distance cannot be maintained etc.
- A 25% non-refundable deposit is required to confirm your reservation. Full payment will be requested at the time of booking in order to minimize transaction charges; however 75% of this payment remains refundable until 60 days prior to the start of the tour (see condition #2 for more detail on cancellation charges). If you prefer to make deposit only payment, please advise BDTours at the time of booking.
- Full payment is due 60 days prior to the start of the tour. If the tour is booked within 60 days of departure, full payment is required to confirm. Cancellation within 60 days but 30 days prior to the tour will incur a tariff in the amount of 50% of the full tour cost. Cancellations within 30 days will incur a tariff in the amount of 100% of the full tour cost.
- At the time of booking, you will receive a message with your invoice allowing you to complete payment by international bank transfer or with your credit card through Paypal. Paypal is the preferred method on payments under 100,000 yen. Alternatively, bank transfer is the preferred method on large transactions as the associated flat rate fees are lower. All bank transfer details are available on your electronic invoice. If you choose to complete a bank transfer, please ignore the paypal service charge listed on your invoice and only transfer the amount owing on the balance line of your invoice before the paypal service fee.
- Note: You do not need a Paypal account to use this online system. Simply follow the instructions and links provided with your electronic invoice.
- All customers signing up for a guided tour are required to read and sign a release of liability waiver before departing. Failure to do so will result in cancellation of the tour without refund. All participants under the age of 19 must also have a parent or legal guardian sign their release of liability.
- For the group multi-day and day trips, this will be confirmed to run once it has reached the minimum number of participants (5 people for multi-day, 3 people for day trips). If this occurs, you will have the option to change to another tour or recieve a full refund. If the alternative tour price is lower than your original tour, the difference will be refunded, and if the alternative tour price is higher than the original tour, the difference will be charged.
- Black Diamond reserves the right to cancel any tour at any time (typically due to inclement weather, unsafe backcountry travel conditions or guide injury / sickness). In the event of cancellation, the customer will be offered the opportunity to either reschedule or receive a full refund.
- Included in all ski packages is the use of backpack, avalanche transceiver, probe, and shovel, as well as avalanche briefings. If you need an avalanche airbag, please contact Rhythm Summit.
- All participants entering the backcountry (anywhere outside of the ski area boundary) on a guided tour must be at least 13 years of age.
- We ask guests to be honest with themselves about their skill level. If you have booked and paid for a trip with BDTours but it is clear that your skills are insufficient for the trip you have booked, we will cancel the remainder of the day and refund 50% of your booking fee. If you are uncertain please read about our skill level requirements here.